High in both omega 6 and 9, argan oil is amazing. So magical and revered that the trees this nut is derived from are part of the argan forest designated by UNESCO as a biosphere reserve in 1998.
What is argan oil exactly?
Endemic to south western Morocco and a small section of western Algeria, this tree produces a nut from which we get argan oil.
The tree is so endearing that goats climb the trees to eat the fruit. If you’re squeamish prepare yourself for this next part! The goats eat the whole fruit, despite the fact they cannot digest the nut. Therefore, the nut passes through the digestive tract of the goat. Once excreted, the nuts are gathered from the goat droppings, and cracked open to expose the seeds inside.
Once the seeds (From 1-3 seeds per nut) are extracted from the nut, they are roasted, ground, and cold pressed to produce argan oil. THIS may be why it’s such an expensive oil. Imagine being the person tasked with retrieving the nuts?! It’s also one of the most sought after culinary and cosmetic liquids in the world.
What do you use argan oil for?
It’s said that argan oil is great for the following things:
- The fatty acid profile of argan oil is such that it aids in the reduction of acne
- Helps to reduce inflammation
- The comedogenic rating (how much it clogs pores) is zero. This means argan oil doesn’t clog your pores
- It absorbs quickly and increases the moisture level in your skin
- Add a few drops to your base oil (Sweet almond, jojoba, coconut) before rubbing onto your skin
- Helps to tame frizz in your hair. Add 2-3 drops onto your hand, rub your hands together, then rub through your hair
- Rub 1-2 drops onto your lips for a conditioning treatment
- Create your own skin toner with green tea and a couple of drops of your favourite essential oil
- Rub it into your nail cuticles for a home-made nail treatment
- Use a few drops to treat dry skin on your feet. Cover with socks and leave overnight
As you can see, argan oil is useful for so many things. It is one of the most expensive oils you can buy. However, a little goes a long way as it packs a powerful punch. Why not try creating a face toner, body moisturiser, or hair treatment? The options are endless!
If you’d like to try making your own body moisturiser, how about using jojoba oil. You can find this oil on our website.