Is there such a thing as a zero waste Christmas gift?
In short, yes. There are a tonne of talented people making and selling fabulous zero waste products that would make the perfect gift. Don’t get me wrong, our kids will also receive a toy or two. However, I limit this a lot these days.
If not plastic toys, then what?
You don’t need to buy all the latest toys for kids to be happy. I still believe the best thing you can give your children is time. I have struggled with this a lot this year as my business grows, yet I still also work part time. In saying that, I’m big on experiences. We do special things as a family, and the kids adore this time together.
Therefore, if not toys, then how about once of these options for the little people in your life:
- A personalised bamboo hairbrush with bamboo pins is a brilliant eco-friendly Christmas gift idea. You can choose the name to be engraved which means they make a great keepsake for years to come! Check them out here.
- Make lunch time fun with a stainless steel lunch box from the team at Bento Ninja! They’re the perfect size for everybody’s lunch and snacks. The lunch box system has 2 layers, with the rectangular container design providing flexibility to unleash your Bento creativity!
- Here at Totally Balmy we have the kids covered with our new bath bombs, and our Eco Kids Bath Box! In this box you’ll find a bamboo toothbrush, face cloth, 2 mini soaps, and 2 bath bombs. This gift is affordable, practical, earth friendly, and free of nasty chemicals.
What about the grown ups?
I’m a big kid, and I love presents too! So what sort of zero waste Christmas gifts are there for adults? Fear not, there are many. Here’s a wee selection I’ve found:
- Emma and the team from Heke Homemade Herbals have created over 40 unique, organic, loose leaf tea blends with 90% of herbs being NZ grown. Their standard bags are fully home-compostable and their bulk bags come in paper. They even have one of my favourite ice-cream flavours; Choc Orange! Check out the range here.
- What about some up-cycled glass artwork? Jill at Jill Matthew Glass is one talented lady! She makes everything from ring dishes to platters. Even beautiful customisable Christmas decorations. The platter pictured would make a fabulous gift.
- Do you enjoy using handmade natural skincare? I hear that Sharon at Totally Balmy is passionate about creating fabulous products! All jokes aside, Totally Balmy has a range of Soap Kits and Gift Boxes to suit everyone from young to old; Eco Kids Bath Box, Earthy Box (Containing beer soap, yes beer!), Mama & Baby Box, Grooming Kits, and more. There’s even gardening soap for the avid gardener in your life.
- My love for Japanese culture led me to meet the very talented Jun who is a graphic artist. He sells his artwork on tote bags, tee-shirts, and in calendars. His artwork is vibrant and fabulous! Check out his products on his Facebook page.
A few more ideas…
I’ve just given you a few ideas for some amazing NZ businesses. However, as life is not all about having more ‘stuff’, you may want to consider this next point.
As previously mentioned, I’m all about experiences. A few goodies I can think of are vouchers for the following activities:
- Mini Golf
- Golf Driving Range
- Swimming pool complex (Bonus points for spa or hydroslide!)
- Trampoline Park
- Chocolate Making
- Wine Tasting/Tour
- Steam Boat
- Movie and a Meal
- Babysitting (So the parents can go out)
- Petrol vouchers (So they can plan their own adventure)
- Mount Bruce Family Pass
So there you have it. You really shouldn’t be stuck for ideas now! There are plenty of zero waste christmas gifts listed here that should have you sorted for the big day.
Have a safe, relaxing, and fun-filled holiday season with your loved ones, from my family to yours.